Wednesday, February 27, 2008


Two pictures of our little princess. One the left we have her at about 3 days old. On the right is a picture of her I just took. Somehow I thought there would be more of a difference when I saw the two side-by-side because she has grown up so much. She is awake and interactive now, and it's just wild. D. and I still haven't gotten over the fact that we have a baby!? A Bean who plays with her hands, watches me knit, and vocalizes like a tiny tyrannosaur. And when she smiles at me when I get her up in the morning? Best thing ever.

On the night of the 19th, while my parents were here, I decided to move M. from the portable crib next to my bed into her "big girl crib" in her own room. Partly because I think my restless sleep was disturbing her a bit, and partly because her sleep was disturbing me ... who knew a cute little girl could be so noisy while sleeping? Luckily (and knock on wood) she did just fine, and if she wakes up and I'm not there, she just hangs out making little cooing noises to herself.

Now, you are starting to wonder, "Laurel, why the title 'Sick'?" That's because it's what I am ... sick. M. is not sick, at least, that would make things so much worse (Yay! for antibodies from breastfeeding!). But last night, when I especially needed to get sleep, she wouldn't go down in her crib, or the floor for a second, or the changing table to get a new diaper. She just made her super sad face and started wailing. Normally I have her swaddled because when I started putting her in her portable crib instead of the bed next to me, she slept longer while swaddled, keeping her startle reflex from waking her up. Well, last night I tried a sleep sack instead, and while it didn't work immediately, D. was able to walk her for a little while, get her to sleep and brought her back up at 3, which was great because I needed the sleep. And after her 3am nursing, I kept her in the sleep sack and she slept great until the morning. Of course, I won't say she's grown out of needing her swaddle just yet, but we are certainly on the way to that.

In knitting news, I have decided to make a slightly modified Na Craga (in Alice Starmore's Aran Knitting) for my dad for his birthday. And, in my attempt to finish or frog hibernating projects, I have pulled out Ragna from Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting. I'm using a yarn that I got free back in New Jersey, a 100% wool tweed. It's a little rough, but the fabric is softer than the yarn and I am hoping with a wash or two it will be even better.

In addition, I'm working on Elephante for M. Only 3 active projects at once (and Na Craga doesn't count yet because I haven't even swatched)? It's pretty amazing. I am really working on this whole idea of working something from start to finish in a reasonable amount of time. And finishing up at least one old thing on the needles before starting something new. So far, so good.

Oh, and now I'm rambling more than usual, I know, but crap crap crap! Why? Because the lovely Nan's daughter is coming for a visit and will be at Friday Knitting and I don't think I can go because I don't want to get everyone sick. I really wanted to meet her. Grrrr.

Well, time to give the Bean another dose of those mommy antibodies.

No comments: