Thursday, July 12, 2012

I am not your biggest fan

Dear Joss Whedon, Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, Seth Green, and every other celebrity I follow on Twitter*;

I am not your biggest fan. 

Sincerely,
Laurel

Don't get me wrong, there are certain celebrities (like the ones I follow on Twitter) who seem like cool people and of whose work I am a big fan, however, I just don't get the whole fan thing, exactly.  I've been reading a lot of ComicCon tweets this week and while it seems like it could be fun, I don't think it is for me.  I would love to go to some of the panels, but to stand in line forever just to get someone to sign something?  I just don't really get it.  (Confession: in college I went to some ... convention thing and did actually meet and get a picture with David Boreanaz, it was fine, the line wasn't too long.  I don't think I have the picture anymore)(I've also been to a couple readings/signings of the Yarn Harlot's.  They were funny and the part where she spoke was great, and now I have books signed to me, but, those are just things.)

Do these people need me to stand in line to tell them I like their work?  No.  They hear that all the time.  I don't feel like I need to get things signed, I don't need more "stuff".  And while they seem like interesting, funny people, it's not like we are going to have some amazing bonding moment in one minute and become best friends and start hanging out.  New friends are cool, but I like the friends I have and don't feel like I need to "upgrade" even if that were likely.

If there were downloads of the panels at conventions, I would be willing to pay a small fee to download and watch certain of them.  If Wil Wheaton came to Aurora, IL to do a reading of some of his work, I'd love to go (if I could get a babysitter).  I saw The Avengers and will get the DVD or Bluray so I can watch it with Joss Whedon's commentary.  But I'm not sitting in line forever to do any of this, either.  I like showers and bed more than a flash of a meeting with someone who might be the nicest most interesting person in the world but who won't really be able to show that in one minute.

If my fan card must be revoked, that's ok, I'll just sit and spin.

No, really, I've got lots of Romney and Corriedale roving to spin.  Also some silk, some Blue Faced Leicester, Wensleydale, and more.

*Joss Whedon is not actually on Twitter

1 comment:

Taylor said...

my friend got me Wil Wheaton's autograph on a napkin about a year ago (which was really a nice thought) but I threw the napkin away when I got home. Why on earth would I want a napkin with a signature on it? I feel ya!